The Voluntary Ecological Year (FÖJ) is a year of ecological education. Every year, the town of Rastatt offers two teenagers and young adults the opportunity to spend a year working in the field of nature and environmental education and environmental protection. At the same time, they can gain their first professional and life experience. The most important requirements for an FÖJ with the town of Rastatt: personal commitment, enjoyment of and interest in environmental education work with children and young people as well as in local nature and ecological issues.
Since 1991, the city of Rastatt has been offering two young people aged 18 to 27 the opportunity to complete a one-year FÖJ at the Department of Urban and Green Planning via the FÖJ provider of the State Center for Political Education (LpB). From September 1 to August 31 of the following year, the volunteers work in various areas of municipal environmental protection and environmental education.
Their tasks at the city include
- Supervision of the eco-station of the city of Rastatt
- Planning and implementation of nature education programs for kindergartens and schools, including the nature experience days for the third grade of elementary school at the eco-station
- Implementation of own ideas and projects
- Support for inclusive working groups on the eco-station site
- Collaboration in practical landscape, biotope maintenance and species protection measures
- Assistance with forestry operations and nest box monitoring
- Collaboration in public relations work, including events as part of the "Rendezvous with Nature", apple juice pressing campaigns and sales
- Cooperation in natural cattle grazing
The FÖJ volunteers from the city of Rastatt also have the opportunity to take part in various further and advanced training courses, get a taste of other areas of the city administration or even grow their own vegetables at the eco station.
The FÖJ participants have summarized information about the FÖJ everyday life at the city of Rastatt in a presentation (PDF) (1.3 MB).
How can I apply? If you would like to do an FÖJ, you must apply to the provider of the position, the State Center for Political Education: https://www.foej-bw.de.
Here you will also find all the information about the placement at the City of Rastatt
Presentation FÖJ (PDF) (1.3 MB)